Day 5 Soup Week
Here's one that's on the menu for this weekend. Temperatures are supposed to really drop in the next couple days and this soup sounds divine! Maybe we'll even have soup two days in a row.
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled/ diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 green peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, in tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta ( rice-shaped pasta)
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Use bulk sausage or remove the casings from the sausage and discard.
- Brown the sausage in a heavy Dutch oven or large saucepan, mashing it with the back of a spoon until the meat is no longer pink and has rendered most of its fat.
- Spoon out most of the fat from the cooked sausage and discard.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring,until soft but not browned.
- Add carrots, zucchini, pepper, wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, basil, and oregano and bring to a boil.
- When the soup in boiling, add the orzo and cook for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If desired, sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each serving.