Day 3 Soup Week
This recipe is actually my husbands Grandmother's. To be honest I've never tried it because I really don't care for tomato soup, but according to Nathan and his family it's pretty darn good. I would love to know what you think.
Tomato and Dumpling Soup
Ingredients for the soup
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- milk or cream
- onion (to taste)
- garlic (to taste)
- 3 cups chicken stock
Ingredients for dumplings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- Squish tomatoes with fork, masher or your hands.
- Combine with chicken stock in a pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Once boiling add spoonful of baking soda.
- Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until thickness you want.
- To make Dumplings - Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and butter just to a simmer.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Mix with a fork until just come together.
- Make small balls by rolling them in your hands.
- Gently drop balls into soup.
- Dumplings should simmer for at least 10 min.
- Add milk or cream to taste.
- For a richer soup add butter.
To view past soup recipes, visit my From the Kitchen page.